Thursday, August 2, 2007

SS Thursdays in August

Say what you will about the quality of the burgers and the length of the line, the Shake Shack does do good custard. If you approach the Shack after the lunch rush, say between 3:30 and 4:45 (before people leave work and try to get dinner), you will rarely be waiting more than 5 minutes.

When I checked out the Custard Calendar for August, I was delighted by the choices: Sweet Corn, Summer Peach, Blackberry, Apricot... I commenced my August tasting today and stopped off for a very late lunch: burger - adequate; fries: didn't finish; blackberry custard...

eh

Just not enough blackberry-ness. It was cold and not too sweet, which is good, but it was only vaguely berry flavored. In previous months, I have been very pleased by the Salted Caramel, Pistachio, and Chocolate Peanut Butter, and it occurred to me this might be my first fruit flavor of the year and I had therefore been evaluating the custardliciousness based on the non-fruit offerings.

I, myself, will be crafting some apricot ice cream over the next few days (the Red Jacket apricots are starting to get a little soft at the market), and I'll post my results, but I'm now concerned about the remainder of the August Shake Shack lineup. Did anyone get to try the Sweet Corn yesterday?

No comments: